Here is the complete program for our next concert, Musica Transalpina: Italians in 18th-Century London on May 22, 2011.
Click to Purchase Tickets:
- Concerto grosso Op. 6, No. 4 in D Major, Arcangelo Corelli (1653-1713)
- Concerto No. 1, Op. 3 in D Major, Francesco Geminiani (1687-1762)
- Concerto Op. 2, No. 1 in G Minor, Charles Avison (1709-1770)
- Sonata for Trumpet and Strings, Arcangelo Corelli
- Concerto Op. 5, No. 6 in G Minor, Giuseppe Sammartini (1695-1750)
- Concerto in E Minor (arrangement of Geminiani’s Sonata Op. 1), Charles Avison
- Sinfonia No. 2 for Trumpet, Flute, and strings in D Major, Alessandro Scarlatti (1660-1725)
- “La Follia” (arrangement of Corelli’s Sonata Op. 5 No. 12), Geminiani
Soloists will be:
- Julie Andrijeski, 1st Violin
- Martha Perry, 2nd Violin
- Melissa Brewer, Viola
- Brent Wissick, Cello
- Janice Joyce, Flute
- Barry Bauguess, Trumpet
Our performance of Charles Avison’s Concerto in E minor, an arrangement of Geminiani’s Sonata Op.1, will mark the first performance of this piece in the New World.
It was performed in Avison’s time in England in the 1700s, but apparently, not since!
Recently it was brought back into print by editor Mark Kroll and A-R Editions, Inc. According to Mr. Kroll, his new edition has been performed at least once in England. Our performance will be the first anywhere outside of England since the piece was written some 250 years ago.